Several photographers I know have started or completed a 101 Goals in 1001 Days Project, including my dear friend RJ Kern. In fact, RJ and I started working together because of his list– I offered to help with a couple of the goals listed on his blog, and we started chatting about projects we’d like to do. It’s funny how life works like that sometimes.
I’ve been kicking around the idea of putting together my own list for awhile now. I tend to do better with goals- I was that obnoxious kid at school who always completed every assignment. My parents grounded me once from my homework. A list like this is a bit like creating a Life Syllabus for myself- I am who I am, what can I say?
Recently, I read Gretchen Rubin’s The Happiness Project. It solidified for me how a project like this can be useful. She talks about happiness and unhappiness and how they’re not really polarized, “they aren’t opposite sides of the same emotion- they’re distinct and rise and fall independently.” Doing some things can help you feel good (traveling), and decreasing the things that make you feel bad can add happiness (cutting crap food or getting rid of clutter.) Completing necessary or “right” tasks (her word) like taking care of medical check-ups and volunteering can increase happiness, but the most important factor she mentions is growth. As she says, “… it isn’t goal attainment but the process of striving after goals- that is, growth- that brings happiness.”
So with growth in mind, and a desire to revel in the process, I start my 101 in 1001 project. If you have your own goal project, I’d love to see them and see what I can help with, and if you see any goals you can help with, I’d appreciate that too. After all, you never know where collaboration might lead.
- 1. Renew my Passport
2. Have a Reason to Renew my Passport
3. Girls Weekend in Manitou Springs
4. Visit 3 Places I’ve Never Been in Colorado (1/3- Calhan)
5. Financial Goal #1 (3/1/12)
6. Financial Goal #2 (3/28/12)
7. Financial Goal #3
8. Create $0 Sum Monthly Budget
9. Have a Garage Sale
10. Have a No Spend Month
11. Tailor Good Clothing
12. Go to a Tasting Event
13. Attend Cirque du Soleil
14. Buy a New (to me) Car, Preferably Outright
15. Take Advantage of Denver Restaurant Week
16. Attend a Movie at Red Rocks
17. Find 10 New Musicians I Enjoy (3/10 The Lumineers, Of Monsters and Men, and The Black Keys)
18. Wander through new places on South Broadway
19. Complete Photo Essay of South Broadway
20. Complete a Photo Essay of Museum Taxidermy
21. Shoot @ BNC (for myself) for Movement
22. Confirm my Blood Type (3/2/12)
23. One Month without Crap Food
24. Get Skin Screening 2 More Times
25. Go to the Dentist 6 Times
26. Legitimately Move up to 5 lbs Weights (I’m little, shush)
27. Cook with 5 Fruits or Veggies I’ve Never Cooked (1/5 Artichoke)
28. Actually Keep up with Quantum Faith Reading for 1 Book
29. Do Dishes After Dinner Every Night for 1 Month (4/15/12)
30. Create 50 Different Homemade Ice Creams (6/50)
31. Create an Ice Cream Album
32. Complete one “Let’s Do 52”- abandoned, I need a new goal!
33. Perfect High Altitude Biscuits
34. Finish My Chairs
35. Finish my T-Shirt Quilt
36. Finish Second Scotland Trip Album
37. Finish year in Japan Album
38. Take a Class Through SSPRD
39. Sercret Goal #1
40. Save over 50% with Coupons (5/1/12)
41. Save over 75% with Coupons 4/13/12)
42. Roast Drinkable Coffee
43. Roast Delicious Coffee
44. Say “Yes” to 10 Things I Normally Wouldn’t Do
46. Teach InDesign Class
47. Take a Risk on Something Scary
48. Secret Goal #2
49. Secret Goal #3
50. Secret Goal #4
51. Support the Endeavors of 10 Friends (2/10)
52. Host 3 Parties- Not Mother’s Day
53. Meet Elowen Before her 1st Birthday (3/30/12)
54. Use my Great-Grandmother and Great-Great-Grandmother’s Dishes
55. Organize a Picture Day for Friends’ Kids
56. Give BNC a 10 year Anniversary Present (4/12/12)
57. Help AfterHours in the Park on Average Twice a Month (10/67)
58. Complete our Website Redesign (3/29/12)
59. Complete a Pricing Redesign
60. Complete a Business Cards and Collateral Redesign
61. Be Published in a National Blog or Magazine
62. Complete the Transition to a Paperless Office
63. Complete Flatland Test Shoot (4/5/12)
64. Complete ### Test Shoot
65. Complete ### Test Shoot
66. Study 5 Photojournalistic Photographers for Depth and Dimension
67. Finish Couture Book Portfolio Album
68. Organize my Office
69. Redecorate my Office (4/29/12)
70. Go Through my Books 94/29/12)
71. Go Through my Media
72. Go Through my Clothing
73. Go Through my Toiletries
74. Clean out the Hutch and Kitchen
75. Replace the Kitchen Sink (4/29/12)
76. Redo the Downstairs Floor
77. Fix the Living Room Ceiling
78. Create a Reading Area
79. Redo Downstairs Bathroom
80. Paint Upstairs Bathroom Moulding and Doors
81. Redo the Backyard
82. Make an Inviting Patio Space
83. Clean out the Linen Closet (4/29/12)
84. Paint the Banisters and Railings
85. Paint the Fireplace
86. Paint and Replace Window Sills
87. Organize the Basement
88. Organize the Garage
89. Be Able to Park in the Garage
90. Complete Paleontology 101 (5/14/12)
91. Complete Intro to Geology
92. Complete Curation of Fossils
93. Complete Paleontology of the Western Interior
94. Complete Evolution
95. Complete Lecture and Lab Course #1
96. Complete Lecture and Lab Course #2
97. Complete Writing and Research Course
98. Complete the Schnozosaurus Book
99. Secret Goal #6
100. Review Goals at Halfway Point
101. Make a new 101 in 1001 List
Anything in bold is completed, with the date I completed it attached. My 1001 days will end on Thanksgiving of 2014- kinda perfect, I thought.
WOW Amanda, this is SO COOL! Good luck with your goals, and let me know if I can ever be of help on your journey!
Thank you Meredith!
I'm particularly fond of #2 and, of course, #53.^_^ Elowen eagerly awaits your arrival! (whether she knows it or not!) XD.
We're eager to get there too, and, of course, Totoro hats…
An A+ Joke for you? You must be kidding ;-).
This is full of awesome!
Thank you Taylor!
Great goals! Best of luck!
Thank you Tom!
Check off Number 22 = A+.
Linda Cowan Hall, thank you for your support! I only set something like this up because I know it fits with my personality. Some people can do daily photo projects year after year, and that would make me crazy- too much pressure, too much maintenance. Maybe there's a way of achieving goals and growth that better fits with your personality?
I thought that's what it was- I was pretty sure there was a joke to be made about needing to get an A+ in all things, including blood type
I'm having difficulty mustering the discipline to complete 1 thing in 1 week. A list like that looks overwhelming to me :- This is something I've been wanting to do for a long time, but I will have to start a bit smaller. My hat's off to you…it takes courage to put together a list like that.
WOW!! This is an amazing idea!! I wish I had the self-discipline to do something like this! Everyone always calls me our family historian, yet most of the info is still residing in my brain! Good luck to you…and don’t forget to have lots of fun!!! Blessed Be!
Thank you Jenn! If you’ve not read that book, I think you’d really enjoy it. I’d lend you mine, but that’s the obnoxious thing about Kindle copies. I’ll try to remember the fun thing ;). -A